Warfleigh.net

The News, Talk, Sights and Sounds of the Warfleigh Neighborhood

In case you were wondering, my dog does not want a play date

I hate to gripe about petty matters on the forum, but I think this may actually be a more serious matter than I would like to make it. If you disagree, please accept my apologies and ignore this post. Or better yet, convince me otherwise in the comments.

Earlier today, my wife watched as one of our neighbors (I won't name names) attempted to open our back gate and put her dogs in our back yard for what I presume was an impromptu play date. She did not succeed (the back gate is a little complicated), so no harm no foul. I am a little concerned though that this may be regular behavior (last week our dogs got loose while we were not at home). Should anyone feel that this is appropriate, please know that we do not feel similarly. There are a number of reasons why we feel so.

1. It is trespassing (and against the law) - based on the recent crime incidents, I feel that it would only be right to report the activity to the authorities, whether I know you or not.

2. There is a dog poop epidemic, and surely were your dogs to eliminate in our yard, I would need to clean it up. It is only respectful that you not soil your neighbor's property.

3. Liability - Not that my dogs are aggressive, but they are territorial (like any dog) and introducing your dog to my property without my presence is a bad idea and could lead to you or your dog being attacked. Or worse, my dog being attacked. I will not be paying any veterinary or medical bills in this instance.

4. My dogs could get out. That means that what was a fun little experiment is now a neighborhood problem and considering our proximity to high traffic streets could result in a much more severe situation.

I consider myself to be a friendly neighbor and I am happy to have our dogs play with one another, but please do not initiate this kind of activity without me being present.

On a related note, I have noticed a few dogs being walked off leash through the neighborhood. Again, being the neighborly sort, I am not going to start stating leash laws and take away the freedom and fun of what are clearly well behaved dogs. I would only ask that you carry a leash with you so that in the instance that I am uncomfortable with your dog around me, my family or my pets, you are able to help out and keep things under control.

Thanks for hearing me out. I know I am not a perfect dog owner, but I try my best to respect my neighbors and their property. Please do not hesitate to let me know if there is any problem with my dogs or the way that they are managed.

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well spoken Kit.
I think you are on the mark. Don't feel insecure about stating what are seemingly just good manners.
My whippet, who is NOTORIOUS for barking when other dogs come near, is really a great guy, as most whippets are, but I feel the same way when I am approached by other dog owners.
Absolutely. There are a bunch of doggers that need to learn some manners.
Since this is a doggie-centered thread, I thought I'd post here about our new dog, as well as post an explanation for something that happened today.

Chica (picture posted below, I don't know how to make it show up in the post) is a three-year-old bull terrier; we got her two weeks ago through Indy Bull Terrier Rescue. She is a very friendly and sweet dog, but bull terriers are famously strong and to many people they DO look intimidating. They are known as "White Cavaliers", which is a reference to how they act in fights: bull terriers do not like aggression; if another dog is aggressive with them they will usually turn and walk away. However, if the other dog keeps pushing and the bully feels threatened, they will defend themselves and, if it turns into a fight, they will pretty much always win. Chica is our second bully, so we are very experienced in managing meeting and being cautious at first around other dogs. And she IS a loving, sweet, people- and dog-friendly dog. We feel very safe with her around our 5 year old son, as she is such a sweet girl.

So, to the man whose off-leash shepherd scared us down by the river today: I'm sorry for unloading so many expletives at you when you came to get your dog. After what felt like an eternity of trying to manage your dog with one hand and manage my dog with the other AND worry that my 5 year old was going to get knocked into the river, I had oceans of adrenaline flowing and you were the logical target.

Your dog seems very nice, but when s/he is off leash and mine is on I can't be responsible for how my dog will behave. I couldn't get away from your dog; s/he was faster than I could walk away with my dog plus my child, and when we tried to leave s/he kept jumping on my dog. I'm pretty sure I heard my girl growling when your dog was roughhousing with her and I panicked at the thought of 1. my child being bitten by either dog, 2. my dog getting hurt, and 3. your dog getting hurt by mine defending herself.

Sorry for the overlong essay: I'm still reeling with fear at both the dogs and my very angry reaction to it. Plus my son keeps asking questions and I'm trying to reassure him that he doesn't need to be afraid of other dogs, I'm sure that shepherd is a nice dog, yes I should have said "OK" when he apologized to us, I'm sorry for all the bad words and yelling (no I don't usually swear in front of my kid!), etc.

To everyone who walks dogs: I understand the desire to let them go off leash, especially down by the river, but you're really setting up a potentially dangerous situation, if not with your dog than with someone else's who you don't know. We all love our dogs but we also all know we cannot ever predict how two dogs will react when they meet.

To everyone walking on-leash, Chica is very friendly and we would love to say hello.
Attachments:
What a cutie-pie.
Well spoken. I agree that I would not want anyone to enter my yard or my dogs area without my consent or being present. There is too much that can go wrong with that situation.

As for the leashes...I must also concur. We walk our dogs in the neighborhood all the time and it alwyas makes me a little nervous when another dog owner comes along without a leash. You just never kow how dogs will respond, even th ewell behaved ones.

No one is perfect but common sense and simple doggie manners go a long way.

Cheers!
Thanks so much for this post! I too see many dogs being walked off leash, and I'm happy for those folks whose dogs are so well-behaved that they can manage this. However, I walk two dogs at once, one of whom is a big, rather neurotic guy. It can be nerve-wracking trying to guess whether or not someone else's dog will come running up uninvited. Sad though it may be, not all dogs can be every other dog's best friend. In advance, thanks for respecting me and my dogs' need for space.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Warfleigh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service