Warfleigh.net

The News, Talk, Sights and Sounds of the Warfleigh Neighborhood

6265 Broadway update: New development plan, new May 14th hearing date

Update: The hearing from April 9th has been postponed until May 14th (from the April 23rd postponement).  Thank you in advance to those who planned to attend the meeting to share your views, and we hope the notification reaches you in time today.  In addition to letters of opposition from both WNA and the BRVA LUD committee, Councillor Will Gooden submitted a letter in support of our opposition to the vacation request as well as the density of the project.    We'll keep you updated as we get more information.

Hello all,

There was a new development proposal presented at the most recent BRVA LUD meeting. At this meeting, the developers gave us our first look at the basic site design with explanations. Typically, more information and detail is provided for review of projects, but in this case, the developers have planned a hearing with the city on April 9th in which they are seeking approval for their project. We received additional information about this new site plan last evening and are posting it here for your review.

Please review the attachments and leave a comment below stating your support/opposition. Please be specific and refrain from unnecessary responses about other comments. You may also send a detailed comment directly to me if you like. We will be summarizing these for presentation to the BRVA LUD before they make a decision on their support for this project. I also urge you to attend the hearing if you would like to voice your opinion on the project, as we are working with a compressed timeline for this hearing.

In general, these are the changes:
- 3 units instead of 5
- Request to vacate 7 feet of land between property and canal still in place
- Height variance cancelled
- Structure is at least 35 feet from Broadway
- Structure would be concentrated in NE corner of lot, with open space in SW corner. The first unit will be one level in addition to the parking/flood elevation level
- Addition of common porch on W side of property

Hearing information:
Thurs, April 9, 2015, beginning at 1:00 P.M., in the Public Assembly Room,
City-County Bldg., 200 E. Washington St., Indianapolis

Views: 521

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In our home on Park we both oppose any loss of common access to the canal and lessening of green space  in the neighborhood.  If any improvements need to be made to our city it is to ADD trees,green areas, bikeways and encourage fossil free transportation.   There is no way to guarantee that these condominiums will not eventually be rented and that the concentration of population would be increased without care for the quality of life for the greater community.  The size of the lot as well as its location will not accommodate three family units and the neighborhood does not need three family units.

Mark, If you are concerned with fossil fuel free transportation than how does this project hurt. To encourage a way of living that requires more walking/cycling there needs to be higher concentrations of people/business. If we can't build moderate density such as this than everything will need to be spread out and will require cars to drive to. Also, how do population increases lower the quality of life for existing residents? I am not aware of any data to support the fact that a  tiny increase in population density lowers quality of life. The worlds cities with the highest quality of life have much higher densities than this, even if this were replicated on every lot in Warfleigh.  Will this lot not just be 1 home turned into 3. To say that a whole neighborhood will feel the difference of 2 more dwellings is a gross overstatement. How does this lot not accommodate 3 units? The drawings show in plain view that the building can clearly be built on this property, it is not setting some precedent for highest residences per acre or anything like that - not even close. As for the loss of green space - we should build places in our cities for people. Homes, businesses, parks. Random patches of grass are not places, they don't contribute to a city, especially when located in areas where everyone already has a front & back yard. 

I am OPPOSED to this revised plan for the 6265 Broadway new development for the following reasons

1) I do not like the transfer of a public access road to a private residence.
2) I do not like the Balconies extending over the path.
3) I think the structure is too close to the canal , it is asking for a 0 Foot setback along Laverock

( it should follow normal setback from canal to keep the open space like along the rest of the canal )
4) the setback from Broadway does not follow other homes 50ft. ( so building would restrict clear line site down broadway )
5) the development as re-proposed will still damage or kill the large tree (and this cannot be replaced by a smaller tree )

NOTE: Street view renderings do not really show a correct image of streetscape , especially height relative to neighboring house. The scale of proposed development shown is NOT drawn to scale , it would look/be a LOT TALLER

I own a home on Park, in the block north of the canal, and I am opposed to this project.

I like the character of Warfleigh the way it is, and I don't want to see it compromised by this new construction.  I don't want any of the canal access I currently enjoy to be lost.  Most importantly, I don't want the sprawl that exists on the east side of College Avenue making inroads into Warfleigh. If this project gets approved, it's easy to imagine other, similar projects like it getting approved in the future, further eroding the look and feel of our neighborhood. 

For everybody's reference here are some images to show just how big the revised development still is , i've shown it compared to both the original size development & the existing home ( which is your average Warfleigh home size )

The 3 storey & 3 unit dwelling is at least 8x times the size of the existing dwelling & dwarfs other homes nearby.

Attachments:

I just spoke to the Division of Planning & the meeting has been re-scheduled to Thursday MAY 14th 1.00pm City-County Bldg., 200 E. Washington St., Indianapolis phone ( 317) 327-5155 ( Please plan to attend & or contact me if you need transportation downtown as we may have a BUS to take people there )

..NOTE 1 : If you are unable to make it , you can always voice your opposition by emailing all these people involved in this decision with your concerns : linda.ahlbrand@indy.gov ; leroy.robinson@indy.gov ; william.gooden@indy.gov ; gary.loveless@indy.gov ; info@brva.org ; handez1@att.net ; jimholland@lifegrid.com

..NOTE 2 : If you are unable to make it to the meeting , you can always voice your opposition by calling this phone number Division of Planning ( 317) 327-5155

Reminder : Friends of Broad Ripple please plan to attend the Meeting about this proposed development. It is first on the agenda at the BRVA LUD committee this Tuesday (April 28th) at the Art Center in Broad Ripple at 6:00 PM.
... The original plan was 10x times larger than the existing property , the REVISED plan is still 7-8x times the average Warfleigh home size & outside the 1-2 dwellings
in the ENVISION Plan for this area of Warfleigh

..UPDATE : Hello Friends of Warfleigh & Broad Ripple ,
I'd like to thank everyone who showed up at the LUD meeting last night & all the Broad ripple & Warfleigh neighbors who sent private messages of support & their comments to include in the presentation.
..RESULTS : Both the BRVA , LUD ( Land Use & Development committee ) and the Warfleigh Neighborhood Association again voted to OPPOSE this revised development.
..NEXT MEETING : The next & final Division of Planning meeting is scheduled for Thursday MAY 14th 1.00pm City-County Bldg., 200 E. Washington St., Indianapolis phone ( 317) 327-5155 ( Please plan to attend or contact me if you need transportation as we may have a BUS or ride sharing to take people there )

..NOTE 1 : If you are unable to make it , you can always voice your opposition by emailing all these people involved in this decision with your concerns : linda.ahlbrand@indy.gov ; leroy.robinson@indy.gov ; william.gooden@indy.gov ; gary.loveless@indy.gov ; info@brva.org

..NOTE 2 : If you are unable to make it to the meeting , you can also voice your opposition by phoning the Division of Planning ( 317) 327-5155
& ask to speak to Linda Ahlbrand. ( The nice lady assigned to this project )

REMINDER : The FINAL MEETING to decide this issue is one week away : Thursday MAY 14th 1.00pm City-County Bldg., 200 E. Washington St., Indianapolis phone ( 317) 327-5155 ( Please plan to attend or contact me if you need transportation as we may have a BUS or ride sharing )

..NOTE 1 : If you are unable to make it , you can always voice your opposition by emailing these people involved in the decision : linda.ahlbrand@indy.gov ; leroy.robinson@indy.gov ; william.gooden@indy.gov ; gary.loveless@indy.gov ; info@brva.org

..NOTE 2 : If you are unable to make it to the meeting , you can also voice your opposition by phoning the Division of Planning ( 317) 327-5155 & ask to speak to Linda Ahlbrand. ( The nice lady assigned to this project )

Hello everyone the last zoning meeting for the 6265 Broadway project has NOW been moved to Thursday May 28th 1:00 PM at the City-County Bldg., 200 E. Washington St. Indianapolis phone ( 317) 327-5155

This hopefully will be the FINAL MEETING to decide this issue  ( Please plan to attend or contact me if you need transportation as we may have a BUS or ride sharing )

...If you are unable to make it , you can always voice your opposition in 2 ways :

1) by emailing these people involved in the decision : linda.ahlbrand@indy.gov ; leroy.robinson@indy.gov ; william.gooden@indy.gov ; gary.loveless@indy.gov ; info@brva.org

or

2) you can also voice your opposition by phoning the Division of Planning ( 317) 327-5155 & ask to speak to Linda Ahlbrand. ( The nice lady assigned to this project )

REMINDER : The final zoning meeting for the 6265 Broadway project is tomorrow Thursday May 28th 1:00 PM at the City-County Bldg., 200 E. Washington St.

PLEASE PLAN TO ATTEND TO SHOW YOUR OPPOSITION to the project.
This should be the FINAL MEETING to decide for or against this development.

UPDATE : The final zoning meeting for the 6265 Broadway project was held downtown today & the proposed development was denied.( the chairman agreed it was not a suitable development for this small lot )
The petitioner may still decide to appeal this ruling , i will keep you updated.

THANK YOU to all who attended today & to all the Friends of Broad Ripple who have shown support against this development ( both in petitions & in person )

RSS

© 2019   Created by Warfleigh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service